So I am working with SharePoint 2010 beta and I wanted to configure My Site Host and the Personal Site Location. So I went to Central Administration –> Manage Service Applications –> User Profile Service Application –> Setup My Sites (under My Site Settings). Note the defaults on this page, for My Site Host location it’s the full server path and /my/ and for the personal site it’s just my/personal.
I decided to change the Personal Site Location to the full server path with /my/personal http://devsp2010/my/personal as per the example underneath: “http://portal_site/location/personal_site/”.
I then kept getting an error when I tried to create my personal site (by going to the site and clicking My Profile –> My Content
“Your personal site cannot be created because the managed path “http://devsp2010:80/my/personal” has not been created for this site. Contact your site administrator for more information.”
I checked the managed paths and they looked fine.
I then checked the ULS logs and there was a message indicating:
“12/14/2009 22:08:57.92 w3wp.exe (0x00F0) 0x1248 SharePoint Portal Server Administration 5187 Critical My Site creation failure for user ‘rezdevxSP2010Admin’ for site url ‘
. The exception was: Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.PersonalSiteCreateConfigurationException: A failure was encountered while attempting to create the site, wildcard inclusion used to create personal sites does not exist. at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfile.<>c__DisplayClass5.<CreateSite>b__3() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c__DisplayClass4.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b__2() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevate… 2338cbd6-79c0-47b1-82b9-71653ff5cc8d
12/14/2009 22:08:57.92* w3wp.exe (0x00F0) 0x1248 SharePoint Portal Server Administration 5187 Critical …dPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode) at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfile.CreateSite(String strRequestUrl, Boolean bCollision, Int32 lcid). 2338cbd6-79c0-47b1-82b9-71653ff5cc8d”
Note that the site url was being referenced twice.
I decided to go back and take a closer look at the Personal Site Location and I found that the location was bolded so I guess you can’t put the full path in here. I changed it back to /my/personal and everything worked! I wish the documentation was a little more clearer here.